Re: [linux-audio-user] Jack setup issue

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Jack setup issue
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 14:16:10 EEST

On Saturday 24 April 2004 12:08 am, RachelAPP wrote:
> After getting my soundcard (Terratec DMX 6 Fire) to work correctly with
> Audacity, i decided to use Muse... So i installed Jack.

I confess that I don't entirely understand this due to inexperience. What
version MusE & jackd? (Qjackctl is worth installing too).

> But when i do jackd and it creates the alsa driver, it puts 0 and 0 for
> number of input and output channels. When i try to force it into something
> else with -i 6 and -o 2 for example, it tells me "ALSA:cannot set channel
> count to 6 for capture".

Will it make any difference to MusE (or indeed Jackd how many inputs your
audio card has?) - does it not actually work otherwise?

> Within Audacity, i can set the number of recording channels to whatever i
> want and they all record properly so i'm a bit surprised why it doesn't
> work with jackd... Any idea?

All I understand is that Jackd is part of the audio system, it runs on top of
ALSA AFAIU - So you'd need to look at your ALSA set-up as well as Jackd.
Audacity is an audio editor, MusE is primarily a MIDI editor. MusE doesn't
need Jackd to run and probably needs to be compiled specifically to do so.

My answer to most things at the moment is download/get hold of a copy of the
Agnula / DeMuDi Live CD:
http://www.agnula.org/Members/sama/demudi_1_1_1_news
and see how they did it on there.

cheers