Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot
From: Aaron Trumm (aaron_AT_nquit.com)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 06:01:30 EEST

> What kind of error messages did you get during the new install and at
> what point in the process? What is the current partitioning structure of
> the disk (after all that happened)? You can find out by doing "fdisk -l"
> from the rescue prompt, I guess.

one - which I can't remember the wording but it was basically akin to can't
read from drive hda

> It could be that the new install did not update grub (who knows why) to
> point to the newly installed system and you are still trying to boot the
> old one. Hmmmm, if fact that could be the case if you have duplicated
> labels. Check the labels of the partitions that are supposed to be the
> "/" partition (you should have two if I understand correctly what you
> did). If one of your root partitions is /dev/hda2 then:
>
> e2label /dev/hda2
>
> should output "/"

interesting - e2label /dev/hda2 - which I believe is the root, gives me the
error about a too high revision (ext3/ext2 thing)

e2label /dev/hda - same error - hda0 (which may not exist) same, hda1 same -
hda3 it give:

/boot

there's two drives in this machine - so I tried
e2label /dev/hdb

same error

e2label /dev/hdb2 gives me

/