Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour Crash + can't boot
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 21:07:22 EEST

> > So you can get a root shell? Check /etc/fstab to see if it is pointing
> > to the right places, particular that "/" is pointing to the right
> > device.
>
> you know, it's not a normal "root" shell - not that I know what I'm talking
> about there - but its prompt is
> (repair file system) #

Hmmm, that means (I think) that the root partition has failed the check
(obviously) and then you get a root prompt to try to repair it and
continue the boot. Now, it should have printed _which_ partition failed
the check. Which one was it?

Let me see if I undertand correctly. You are trying to boot to the _new_
install that apparently is in /dev/hdb3, right? Specifying root= in the
boot command line? I'm not sure I'm following what you are doing,
exactly (it has to be "exactly").

> and you can't just change to /etc (unless i'm crazy or something) - you
> gotta like go find /dev/hdb3 or hda2 or whatnot - it took a little sniffing
> to get to /etc - - but now that I think about it, maybe I was crazy.

Yes, at that point you don't have a "working" "/" because it could not
be checked. So, the kernel is either trying to boot into /dev/hda2
(which is known broken), or /dev/hdb3 is also broken (unlikely). When
you say you got to /etc, how did you do it?

Things I would try:

- try to boot into /dev/hdb3 (this assumes the install was fine). When
you get to the grub screen highlight the original redhat kernel (not the
Planet CCRMA one), press "e" to edit, go to the kernel boot line, press
"e" to edit, make sure the root= option is pointing to /dev/hdb3, press
"b" to boot from this kernel with the options selected.

- if this does not work then probably the hdb3 partition does not
contain a valid install (depends on how it fails).

> I'm still kind of curious as to the CAUSE of this problem. I didn't expect
> that an ardour crash could corrupt the file system or maybe even the
> physical disk, and that's what started the mess - unless that was a
> coincidence... hmmm...

Could be a hardware failure or could be a kernel problem (unlikely but
possible). I doubt that Ardour was the cause of what happened.

-- Fernando