Re: [linux-audio-user] my live CD dilemma

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] my live CD dilemma
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 21:54:51 EEST

Greetings:

  Thank you to all who replied to my original mail.

  Paul, I've had no trouble with the laptop (an HP Omnibook 4150) audio
chipset under ALSA, as long as I load the CS4232 module instead of the
one for the NM256. Takashi pointed out that the NeoMagic set is
essentially the CS chipset under another name, and indeed the CS4232
module works flawlessly. OTOH, all attempts failed with the NM256 module
for ALSA, OSS/Free, and OSS/Linux. In the case of OSS/Linux I was
advised to try the NM2000 instead, and that module also worked.

  So basically the NM256 is crap, and when it's identified by one of the
live distros everything stops. Is there any way around it ?

Best,

dp