Re: [linux-audio-user] Fwd: [Jamin] Re: soft clip: Achieving Gain, inconsequential overloads

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fwd: [Jamin] Re: soft clip: Achieving Gain, inconsequential overloads
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 01:28:54 EEST

On Monday 03 May 2004 19:34, davidrclark_AT_earthlink.net wrote:
> There may also be a psychoacoustic effect that louder produces more
> harmonics or an illusion of such.

I don't think it's psycho-acoustics, distortion creates more harmonics, that's
physics CMIIW. It does seem that loud, dense hypnotic music does produce a
kind of euphoria due to some action upon the inner ear, it's the feeling of
being gently bludgeoned by a large, heavy object with no discernable sharp
edges. Some people like it, especially teenagers. It goes with vodka nicely.

As musicians mature, we learn to play our instruments properly and start to
wonder what it would be like to get a good guitar sound. yaddayadda.

And so here we all are :-)

cheers

tim hall