[linux-audio-user] [OT] recording fom turntable (ripping LPs)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [OT] recording fom turntable (ripping LPs)
From: Erik Steffl (steffl_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 12:26:13 EEST

   so i finally got the recording on sb live! platinum working and I'd
like to rip my old LP collection. So I bought the only turntable with
pre-amp I have found, connected it and the sound was terrible (I think
it was mostly too weak, wasn't even at 50% at max), it's also a cheap
denon. I connected it to the RCA inputs on the liveDrive (front panel).
BTW the liveDrive RCA work ok with line6 guitar pod and iPod.

   so my off-topic question is - how to connect the turntable? which
turntable to get? since I mostly plan to use it to rip the LPs and I'm
not going to use it afterward I'd prefer cheaper solutions (not the
denon though:-)

   I also have receiver with phono input (so no pre-amp in turntable
needed) but I have no way to get the signal out of receiver, it only has
speaker outputs.

   so I guess I need sort-of-decent turntable with pre-amp or turntable
plus external pre-amp? any recommendations?

   (and yes, I am using linux box with gramofile, so this is at least
close to the topic:-)

   TIA

        erik