Re: [linux-audio-user] regarding mobos and CPUs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] regarding mobos and CPUs
From: Rui Nuno Capela (rncbc_AT_rncbc.org)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 01:13:16 EEST

Quoting Malcolm Baldridge:
>> Also, what's a recommended motherboard ?
>
> Motherboard:
> ============
> The Asus P4C800-E Deluxe if money is no object, but the Asus P4P800 (or
> P4P800 Deluxe if he needs/wants onboard Firewire) will give you the same
> performance for a bit less money. The quality of these motherboards is
> EXCELLENT. Even though the P4P800 uses the i865PE chipset, it supports
> "PAT" for most of the same memory bus optimisations the more expensive
> i875
> chipsets (in the P4C800) support.
>
> CPU:
> ====
> P4-2.8Ghz-800 is probably the sweet spot (in North American markets)

OK, just my log into the fire...

I'm a happy owner of a P4-2.80C, on a ASUS P4P800-EAY Deluxe 1GB DDR400
CL3, steadly overclocked to 3.3GHz (with the vanilla cooler, so it maybe
go further if room temperature is not an issue), running SMT incredibly
stable. No glitches whatsoever. In fact it's the best rig I've ever owned
or built, and that surely counts for the relative money I've spent too.
Nowadays it's even 30% stock cheaper than when I assembled it first time
(6 months ago).

Best value for any money, for sure.

Kernel? it's a 2.6.5 Con Kolivas overloaded, on a SUSE 9.0 distro.
Occasionally I also boot a Fedora Core 1 2.4.26.ll Planet CCRMA partition.
Again, I can't tell the difference when regarding audio work.

Cheers.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc_AT_rncbc.org