Re: [linux-audio-user] regarding mobos and CPUs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] regarding mobos and CPUs
From: Larry Troxler (lt_AT_westnet.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 05:33:08 EEST

On Thursday 06 May 2004 16:44, Malcolm Baldridge wrote:

> I know it's probably heresy for a Linux user to use Intel, but in a value
> for money comparison THESE days, a P4 is money well spent. They run
> cooler, support SSE/SSE2 (the latter I've used to brilliant effect in an
> experimental anti-spam product which does wire-speed connection monitoring
> + diversion), and has higher memory + subsystem bandwidth with the FSB800
> dual-channel chipsets (865PE/875).
>
> When you couple the Intel CPU with the (FREE!) Intel Compiler, you really
> have a winner hands-down. Rebuilding the OpenSSL library with ICC gave me
> a 35% performance advantage over the best equivalent settings in gcc-3.3 in
> the Pure C crypto cores, to name one small example.
>
> With the very small number of exceptions if you hand-pick the low-end
> Thoroughbred cores, run so bloody hot - they are little nuclear power
> plants. Yes, the new top-end Prescott P4s top them in heat dissipation,
> but those aren't necessary for your application.

Does this imply that AMD no longer has a big advantage in floating point
performance over intel? When I bought my last motherboard a few years ago, an
Athlon 800Mhz, floating point was supposedly significantly faster on the AMD
chips, and since I do a lot of realtime synthesis, going with AMD was a
natural choice. Have things changed since then?

Larry Troxler