[linux-audio-user] audio drop using alsaplayer with jack

Subject: [linux-audio-user] audio drop using alsaplayer with jack
From: Cournapeau David (cournape_AT_enst.fr)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 12:26:08 EEST

Hi there,

    I am trying to have a not too bad audio experience on my laptop,
which has a i8x0 audio chipset (snip). I have a 2.6.6-rc2 kernel,
preempt enable, without any patches, but with the Jack o Quinn realtime
module. I happened to use 3 different players on my former PC: rythmbox,
alsaplayer and xmms. But on my laptop, whenever I am doing cpu-intensive
or heavy disk related operations, there are big audio drops which are
quite annoying. Here is my configuration:
    - rhythmbox: I don't do anything special to gstreamer, I think it
uses oss emulation. Totally unusable on my laptop :( drops, really bad
sound, gstreamer seems to have some nasty bugs. When I am doing
somehting like 'gst-launch sinesrc ! osssink', it doesn't sound like a
sine at all !
    - xmms: with alsa plugin, it works, but it 'stops' working for a few
seconds when I am doing CPU and/or disk intensive operations ( example:
tar -xjf kernel-sources ). I've never managed to make the jack plugin work.
    - alsaplayer with jack output plugin, jack launched with the -R
option. Jack doesn't complain about xruns, but still, alsaplayer still
stops, like xmms under the same conditions (the time counter stops for
around a second).

    I was so desperate that I thought about a hardware problem in my
audio chipset, but it works perfectly on windows (re snip).

    What should I do to avoid these really annoying audio drops under
linux ?

    Thank you,

    David