Re: [linux-audio-user] alsamixer and the audiophile 2496

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] alsamixer and the audiophile 2496
From: Juhan Leemet (juhan_AT_logicognosis.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 23:57:23 EEST

Eric Rz. wrote:
> If i'm not mistaken the 2496 is an ice1712 based card. You should use
> envy24control instead of alsamixer. Things will make much more sense. Be
> sure to check out the command line options available to limit the number
> of channels it displays.

Yes, I have one of those cards, too. Nice. Good quality audio. It is ice1712
based and envy24control works fine.

Hmm, I had a look for the command line options for envy24control in the man
page. Couldn't find anything to adjust number of input channels displayed.
That's with the alsa-tools-0.9.0rc6-53 that comes with SuSE 8.2. Maybe a
later one adds them? My envy24control shows all 10 PCM input channels of the
internal ice1712, even though the Audiophile-2496 only has 2 analog and SPDIF
digital (2 channels) inputs from the outside world. I haven't explored all
permutations and combinations of the panels.

Elsewhere, I've grumbled about the "lack of integration" between apps like
audacity and xmms volume slider and the envy24control. The volume sliders on
the apps are "dead". You MUST control the volume on the envy24control. Dunno
if that's a permanent condition? ...likely to get fixed? how?

(...unless someone else has some more info and/or pointers for us?)

BTW, I think I also had a "lock up" problem when trying to change clock source
between internal and SPDIF (back to internal?), using envy24control. I had to
"kick it around" before the change would "take". I'm not sure if SPDIF stuff
works, or is supported. I had other problems to fix, so I didn't pursue that
any farther. Sorry. I have a Johnson J-Station (guitar amp modeler) which
could provide SPDIF outputs, but I'm currently running its analog outputs
through a Peavey RQ-200 6 channel mixer into the Audiophile-2496 analog PCM 1
& 2 inputs. That works well enough, and I'm not desperate for more channels.
Converting A/D/A/D doesn't seem that bad, but I haven't listened that
closely. Good enough for the likes of me. I can put off wrestling with SPDIF
for a (long?) while. The engineer in me likes to see everything work.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.