Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 8, Issue 43

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 8, Issue 43
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 18:52:07 EEST

On Monday 17 May 2004 17.48, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Jan Depner <eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net> writes:
> > On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 01:01, Barton Bosch wrote:
> > > Okay, so the VIA chipset is problematic re: audio?
> > > Could someone who has experienced this briefly outline
> > > the problem or maybe point me toward some
> > > documentation?
> >
> > I'm using a VIA chipset board and having no problems, YMMV.
>
> Me too. I have an older VIA-based ASUS board. The computer works
> fine, though I never could get the on-board sound chip working. I
> ended up buying an M-Audio Delta/66 card and everything has worked
> great ever since: good performance, low latency, no glitches.

Same here, ASUS Via based Athlon M/B with Delta44. Never tried to use the
internal soundboard though.

In my opinion on-board chipsets are not worth effort. They generally suck,
regardless of brand.

Specifically about Via chipsets, I think the days to slander them are over.
There was a time when they did not work very well, nowdays they are no worse
than anyone else.

/Robert