Re: [linux-audio-user] Problem recording 24/7

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Problem recording 24/7
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 12:17:24 EEST

Hallo,
H. T. Hind hat gesagt: // H. T. Hind wrote:

> I'm trying to record 24/7 using Fedora Core 1, JACK 0.98,
> ecasound 2.3.3 , python2.2.3, alsa-1.0.1 and
> 2.4.22-1.2140.nptl.caps.rhfc1.ccrma kernel and delta 1010. I'm
> using the Planet CCRMA packages and kernel. Cron kicks off a
> python script every hour, that starts ecasound and records 4 channels for 1
> hour . The script also invokes lame to compress the recorded
> files to mp3.
> The Python script invokes jack_connect to connect the ecasound
> instance with JACK. After a couple of days of perfect recording,
> jack_connect just seems to hang while connecting and then all the
> subsequent instances of recording invoked from CRON pile and no
> more recording happens till JACK is restarted.

> I can't figure out what could be causing the jack_connect
> instance to stall , whether it is JACK , jack_connect or ecasound
> or python I can't figure out. Any pointers or suggestions on how
> to solve the problem ?

I would suppose, that Jack is at fault here, as it's the only program,
that seems to be running continously. You restart all other software
every hour. One easy way to check this could be, to record without
Jack, if that is possible for you. I don't know, if you need to use
Jack, but this kind of operation maybe does not require Jack, at least
not, if you just record from the soundcard (e.g. a radio program).

Some other random hints: Try to directly compress to mp3/ogg with
ecasound and try without Python, just use a shell script. But I don't
think, these two are reasons for your errors.

If it works when Jack isn't running, them I'm sure, the Jack
developers will want to debug your problem. Because it could be, that
something is going wrong inside jack, that doesn't go wrong except
after running Jack for several days.

Ciao