[linux-audio-user] Using .PAT files with Jack, and drawbars

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Using .PAT files with Jack, and drawbars
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 23:49:56 EEST

I just got an Edirol PCR-30 for my birthday, so I've dug out my
10 years worth of GUS patches and have been playing them through
Timidity. Unfortunately, the Intel chipset on my laptop doesn't
seem to want to give ALSA more than one pcm client, so I can't
use Timidity and Jack at the same time. I can kill Timidity
when I want to switch over to, for example, ams, but this seems
to make Rosegarden (and sometimes ALSA Patch Bay) unstable and
will be a huge pain if I ever want fake analog synth and fake
piano in the same song.

So.... Is there an easy way to do one of the following in free
software:

(a) make Timidity use Jack,
(b) make Fluidsynth use .PAT files, or
(c) losslessly and automatically convert a couple hundred .PAT
files to soundfonts?

I did just spend about an hour googling for any of the above
solutions but to no avail. There was a widely-pirated sound
format converter I remember under Windows, Awave maybe?
but I don't know of a Linux equivalent whether free or not. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, and the PCR-30 has eight sliders right on the front of
it (plus a bunch of knobs and buttons.) I know they're sent
over MIDI because one of the sliders affects the filter cutoff
in one of the ams examples. This makes me think of drawbars.
Any suggestions for a drawbar organ simulator that lets you
assign MIDI controllers to each of the drawbars and then move
them in realtime?

Rob