Re: [linux-audio-user] A most bizarre problem.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A most bizarre problem.
From: Jos Laake (jos_AT_radiks.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 11:18:34 EEST

Malcolm Baldridge wrote:
>>I'm sure you've tried it already, but just for the record: I've
>>noticed with one of those sound cards that the slider (on alsamixer)
>>labeled 'Capture' causes to feed the output back in. It should be
>>record-disabled (I'm not sure, but IIRC just bringing the slider all
>>the way down doesn't do the trick) while it is record-enabled by
>>default(?). I think.
>

> I've tried it (it's an on/off setting toggled by hitting the SPACE bar), but
> it KILLS THE LINE INPUT AUDIO completely!!
>
> How annoying. It's completely counter to what you'd expect too. I'm amazed
> that there's no way to record from the LINE IN jack and output audio onto
> the LINE OUT w/o having the LINE-IN audio mixed with the audio output. Is
> it just I, or is that really bizarre?

Hi Malcolm. I don't know if you ever got your problem
resolved, but I have the same audio chipset, and I discovered
this:

In my mixer (I'm using the KDE sound mixer) there are a bunch
of sliders, some with record buttons underneath. If I use the
line-in slider ('Line' on my mixer) with the record button on,
I get the results you're talking about.

BUT!!!

If I turn on the record button under the 'Line' slider, but
leave the slider all the way down and instead use the slider
marked 'IGain', then my line-in signal goes into the recording
but *NOT* directly through to the line out. Semms a little
odd to me, but that's how I was able to avoid the scenario
you seem to be having trouble with.

Lemme know if this helps.
Toodles,
~Jos~