[linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels
From: Joel White (cv223_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 21:50:43 EEST

Hi,

I'm working on setting up my box for recording with ardour+jack and I've
been having trouble getting consistent two-channel recordings with 2.6
kernels (2.6.1-mm4, 2.6.3-mm4, 2.6.5-mm6). Things will go along fine
for a variable length of time (but not enough to record a full song),
then ardour will simply stop. This is usually associated with a quite
long xrun (> 20 ms) - there aren't any other xruns happening. Recording
under a 2.4.23 kernel with the low latency patches seems to work fine (I
suppose I should just stick with that, but it would be nice to be
running a current kernel). Additional info:

1) Dual 400 MHz PII, 0.5G RAM, 4 drive SCSI software RAID-0
2) Openbox (cut CPU load from 20% with Gnome to below 10% when running
ardour)
3) ext3 filesystem
4) Ensonic AudioPCI ES1371
5) I also tried the irqprio patch for the 2.6.3 kernel mentioned on this
list a while back to set the irq priority for the sound card high

I get the impression that there is a sporatic event that is causing the
unusually long xrun. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly
appreciate advice on how to track this down (reiserfs, maybe?).

Thanks!

Joel