Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and M-Audio Dio2448 SPDIF input (again)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and M-Audio Dio2448 SPDIF input (again)
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 12:34:39 EEST

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:27:36AM +0200, Tim Orford wrote:
> i dont know what causes this. It is like this on some of my systems
> and not others. Even without the switch though, the spdif input is
> available as alsa hw:0,2.

'scuse my ignorance, but how and where do I use the string
"alsa hw:0,2"?

By the way, it would help in debugging this (and probably be a usefult
tool anyway) to have a recording application that displays the input
signal on a meter of some sort.

arecord doesn't show anything about the signal (unless I've missed
something)
audacity would be OK, but while things aren't working I can never be
sure whether this is an oss emulation problem (I'm aware audacity isn't
perfect in this respect) or an ALSA driver problem.

Perhaps I sould install ardour and jack? Sledgehammer to crack a nut,
and introducing more unknowns, but there is a long term plan to use them
for multitrack mixing eventually.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444