Re: [linux-audio-user] parameters needed for managing multiple soundcards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] parameters needed for managing multiple soundcards
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 12:51:49 EEST

On Monday 24 May 2004 11.46, michele.spinolo_AT_tin.it wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I installed Suse 9.1 with 3 Terratec EWS88D soundcars: Alsa properly
> recognize the 3 cards installed (3 Ice1712 divers are loaded), now I'm
> using BruteFir which require to set the Alsa's parameters for managing with
> multiple soundcards.

Oh, sounds like a nice setup.

> The parameter is:
>
> hw:0,0
>
> if you have a 1 card system, now does someone know how this parameters work
> with 3 soundcards?

So in your case the devicetype you wish to use is hw, the device is 0->2 and
subdevice depends entirely if the card HAS subdevices and if you wish to use
them, I think it probably best to leave it at 0.

so:
hw:0,0 (first card)
hw:1,0 (second card)
hw:2,0 (third card)

As I understand you brutefir supports natively to use several cards. If this
is not the case then it IS possible to glue the cards together so they form
one "card". This requires .asoundrc trickery that is beyond most peoples
abilities though ;)

/Robert