Re: [linux-audio-user] Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 00:39:36 EEST

Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 6:24 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> I've got a Windows VSTi I want to try running under Linux.
>

> You probably want "vsti" from Kjetil Matheussen (using vstserver) or
> "jack_fst" from Paul Davis and Torben Hohn (using libfst). Either of
> these will run a VSTi with GUI as a standalone JACK/ALSA app that can
> then be driven as an ALSA sequencer client from a MIDI source.
>
> You can get vsti at http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/, or jack_fst at
> http://linuxaudiosystems.com/fst/ . I have never tried vsti, but I
> have used both vstserver-for-plugins and jack_fst with good results.
>

> Chris

Chris,
    The fst link doesn't seem to be working right now. Even the link on
the products web page is not operational.

    The vsti one looks more promising. I've managed to get the SIR
implulse reverb up and going. There seems to be something strange (which
I haven't quite figured out!) about the order I start everything, but at
least it works to the level of bringing up a GUI.

    It's encouraging that it also presents a MIDI port in qjackctl.

    Thanks for the pointer!

Cheers,
Mark