Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels + XRuns with the Audiophile 24/96 M-Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels + XRuns with the Audiophile 24/96 M-Audio
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 00:58:40 EEST

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 15:07, Malcolm Baldridge wrote:

> 2) You need to ensure 80-wire cabling is used and that you're getting
> UDMA/100+ timings out of the controller.

        Got burned by that one once. My home system was the only thing I had
that was IDE.

> But still... even my old 10K and 15K RPM U-160/U320 drives blow the pants
> off my newest IDE drives with almost zero CPU utilisation. But that is for
> a server application (on P4 SuperMicro systems with onboard U160/U320 dual
> channel SCSI hardware), and it's quite possible that if I tried doing audio
> on that hardware, I'd be in xruns city.

        I've been running SCSI on PC's (where I work) for as long as I can
remember (at least since 2920, before that we were strictly UNIX
workstations - HP, SGI, Sun). I actually tried the 2940 on my system
since I had one laying around and it ate the PCI bus. At work I've gone
away from SCSI for three reasons - first is cost, second is that the
speed difference isn't very much anymore, third is that you can't get
SCSI in Djibouti (or Honolulu for that matter). I work with ship and
airborne data collection/processing systems. We've had problems getting
SCSI drives anywhere but the states (or Singapore, although I had
problems there once - I couldn't find anything old ;-) Now we're
starting to switch to SATA for the same reason.

Jan