Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels + XRuns with the Audiophile 24/96 M-Audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels + XRuns with the Audiophile 24/96 M-Audio
From: Joel White (cv223_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 02:56:51 EEST

Malcolm Baldridge wrote:

>>So, am I completely hosed with my Adaptec SCSI drive setup? Anybody
>>have any insight into these Adaptec controllers? I've fussed with the
>>setpci latency_timer settings (from Jan Depner's "Installing and
>>configuring ALSA, JACK, & Ardour..." web site), but still see long
>>xruns.
>>

>If you could email the output from lspci -v and procinfo, that would be great.
>
>Also, which exact kernel setup are you using? Preemptible?
>Preempt+low-latency? Con Kolivas' "LCK1" patches which combine O(1)
>scheduler, and two sets of low-latency patches, including patches to the I/O
>subsystem?

Thanks to you and everyone else responding to my latest laments. And
thanks for the offer to help. Before filling up your Inbox with
diagnostic info, I thought I would try out a few things. I have been
using the 2.4.23 kernel with only the low-latency patch - I was
following the suggestions I've seen on various audio websites. I found
what I think is the LCK1 patch set you mention here
(http://www.plumlocosoft.com/kernel/) and it certainly looks
interesting. I think I'll try it out before using up more of everyone's
time.

>Also, which filesystems are you using for your audio data drive? If you're
>using ext3, which journalling mode? data=writeback seems to provide alot
>better latency than the default data=ordered. Reiserfs seems to solve alot
>of problems as well, if you're willing to reformat your audio drive. It's
>easier to change your ext3 journalling mode (no reformat is necessary).

I'm using ext3 with data=writeback, based on your suggestion from a few
days ago. Unfortunately, that hasn't seemed to help.

>What kind of SCSI drives are you using?
>
>=R=

I'm using 4 Seagate SX118273LC (18G) drives in a software RAID-1, mostly
because I wanted to see what putting together a RAID was like (and at
the time I bought them, the drives were relatively cheap).

 From suggestions in other posts in this thresad, I think I'll try
kludging in an IDE drive first, just to test the IDE vs. SCSI option
first. If that really solves the problem, I guess I'll bite the bullet
and re-arrange my drives.

Thanks again!

Joel