[linux-audio-user] Synchronization

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Synchronization
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 19:30:21 EEST

Hi, I've just migrated my studio over to Linux (whoohoo!) from
Windows/Finale/Cakewalk and need some more details on synchronization
between applications, specifically Ardour and Rosegarden4. The Ardour
manual is a little sparse in this area.

Specifically, I am using Rosegarden to control a MIDI keyboard and a
MIDI drum machine which route their audio outputs into an external mixer
and then back into the DAW hardware (Audiophile 2496). Works great, of
course, with much less fuss than Finale or Cakewalk. My drums are
broken up into multiple tracks (one for kick drum, one for snare, etc),
so I can mix them separately as needed (the way you would with a real
drum kit). So I need to capture the audio coming into Ardour (will have
to record each track individually), which is easy enough to do, but I
need to make sure each track stays in synch with the other drum tracks
or I will have a bloody mess. The version of Cakewalk I used didn't
have SMPTE support, but I assume I will have to use something along
those lines.

Any online documentation to look at? I couldn't find any... if there is
also some kind of auto-sync so when the MIDI playback starts in
Rosegarden, Ardour will automatically start recording the incoming audio
would be useful also.