Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of two Cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of two Cards
From: Jos Laake (jos_AT_radiks.net)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 06:24:35 EEST

I'm cross-posting this to the alsa-user list, as it seems to
be an ALSA issue.

Jos Laake wrote:
> Hey peeps,
>
> So, I've been using jack with the onboard audio stuff in
> my li'l cube (snd driver = snd-intel8x0) and that works.
>
> And I've been recycling/parting-out older or broken systems
> and found a PCI audio card with an ESS Maestro-1 chip, which
> after some trial and error, discovered it needs to use the
> 'snd-es1968' snd driver (not snd-maestro3).
>
> So I put the card in, reconfigured my audio, both cards are
> seen, all the modules are loaded. and then I go to start
> 'JACK' and... well, each *one* works (although there is a
> different problem with the Maestro-1 I'll save for later)
> it seems to let me use *either* one or the other but not
> both. What I really want is to be able to use the inputs
> of both cards for multi-track recording. Really, I'm just
> trying to get the stereo keyboard separated from the stereo
> vocals, that's all. Seems like it should be no biggie,
> but... not.
>
> So, first off, is this possible? I mean there *should* be
> a way, right? any clues for me before I go bangin' my head
> on a wall? ;-)

So, not being one to sit still... (Dang, my head hurts... ;-) )

I found an entry for a .asoundrc file at this link:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php3?company=Generic&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=Generic#virmulti

So, I tried setting it up this way. I'm using exactly the script
shown at the link above. But it just ain't quite right. Here's
what I got in the messages window of 'qjackctl'

20:14:59.233 JACK is starting...
20:14:59.233 /usr/local/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dttable -r48000 -p1024 -n2
-i4 -o4
20:14:59.240 JACK was started with PID=2278 (0x8e6).
jackd 0.98.1
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ...
ttable|ttable|1024|2|48000|4|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: no playback configurations available (Invalid argument)
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa
20:14:59.277 JACK was stopped successfully.

Help?

~Jos~