Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of two Cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of two Cards
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 11:39:31 EEST

Hallo,
Russell Hanaghan hat gesagt: // Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> I have asked, just as you too are asking for a "dream come true!" Cheapo
> cards for multiple IO's...
>
> But alas...this is not to be! You can get both cards working in tandem
> (of sorts) with the right ".asoundrc" file but they will not stay in
> sync. I had 2 identical SBlive 5.1's and prayed constantly and fervently
> to the great God of ALSA whom betrothed to us the .asoundrc miracle. For
> 40 days and 40 nights I fasted...but the "fuzzy wuzzies" in one or the
> other card were NOT to be cast out. I was angry...then repentent.

Well, that's because you cannot beat physics with software. If those
cards don't know the notion of "time" the other has then how should
they stay in sync? This is neither a problem of ALSA nor Jack, it's
simply a hardware issue. It's a bit like two people trying to play the
same saxophone at the same time: it won't fly.

You should get a real multichannel card or two cards that provide a
way to be synced to each other like the M-Audio Delta cards should do
(never tried) or the RME cards. Multichannel cards based on the IC1721
chips are really inexpensive nowadays.

Ciao