Re: [linux-audio-user] producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] producing a drum sample library for hydrogen
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 00:37:31 EEST

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
R Parker <rtp405_AT_yahoo.com> wrote:

[many good points snipped]

>From my point of view [as a weak drummer, producer of some electronic music, a little better jazz guitr player, and consument of all kinds of music] there's always one important thing missing in every "virtual" drummer i heard, except for those which were loop based [and even loop based drumsequences have a characteristic and easily distinguished sound]:

The interplay between the different drums: Each drum you hit, makes sound. This sound reonates in the other parts of the drumset. If you hit the bass drum, the snare drum will produce sound, too..

Also i think talkover is very important for a live drum sound. If you mic a bd and a snare, the bd mic will always pick up the snare and the other way around.

Also very important is the interplay of the drum stick with a still resonating drum cymbal. A ride cymbal will sound different when hit from a silent state, than it will sound when hit while it's already ringing..

For rides and crash cymbals, the physical movement of the cymbal is very important, too.. If you hit a symbol on one side, it will swing in the air [i mean large scale movement, not the vibration that produces the primary sound]. Everytime you hit a cymbal it will travel a different path thus endlessly modifying the sound which reaches the mic..

If all these things aren't present, it won't sound like a real drumset.

Florian Schmidt

--
Palimm Palimm!