Re: [linux-audio-user] Setup tweaks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Setup tweaks
From: Jos Laake (jos_AT_radiks.net)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 22:53:10 EEST

Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:41:10 +0100
> Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> -geometry
>
>>argument to apps, eg. xclock -geometry 400x400+10+10 you can ommit the
>>size bit (400x400) if you just want to set position. Giveing -'s for the
>>position make it relative to the right/bottom edge.
>>
>>Not all newer apps accept that argument though.
>

> Hmm, shouldn't these apps be considered broken then? the -geometry switch is
> an xlib thing and handled transparently if the app passes the
commandline to
> xlib.. i suppose some toolkits might do their own commandline
processing and
> then forget to pass stuff on to xlib..
>
> maybe i talk nonsense though.

And maybe not. ;-) It seems like 'qjackctl' studiously ignores the
-geomtry switch. 'QAMix' does it correctly (yay!). 'Timemachine'
actually barfs with 'unknown options -g -e -o -m -e' etc... I'm
starting Hydrogen on a separate 'desktop' to give it more space, so
that one's not an issue.

Is there any way to work around this stuff? Are the window coordinates
hardcoded in 'qjackctl'?

In the meantime, I start my setup, and tweak for a few minutes...
Hopefully inspiration doesn't take a left turn while I'm doing it...

~Jos~