Re: [linux-audio-user] balance stereo

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] balance stereo
From: Pete Harlow (peter.harlow_AT_thales-transportservices.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 14:39:43 EEST

Presumably you could

- Use sox with the pick effect to split the file into two files, one per
original channel

- Use sox with the stat effect to get a correction to normalise each of
the stereo files to 100%

- Use sox with -v or vol effect to normalise the two files

- Glue them back into a stereo file with soxmix.

A problem with automating this process is that the correction will be
based on the highest peak in the file, and that the perceived loudness
of each channel may or may not be related to this. To get a subjective
balance, you may need to do the above to get the absolute correction to
avoid clipping, then *reduce* one channel or the other according to the
average power in the channel - you can probably derive a fiddle factor
from the difference in rms values given by stat.

I've not tried any of this other than using -v, so it is just a guess...

Pete.

DJ Astroboy wrote:
> Is there a cookbook, command line way to balance out a stereo wav file
> where the two channels should be roughly at the same level? Rezound
> works well for this if you've got lots of time, but I've ended up with a
> bunch of these, and I need to automate...
>
> Andy/DJ Astroboy
> http://www.djastro.com

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed,
copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited,
and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message. Thales, its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete
transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.