Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit 2.6.0: MIDI-->multiple voices per staff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit 2.6.0: MIDI-->multiple voices per staff
From: Joerg Anders (j.anders_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 14:50:14 EEST

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Chris Cannam wrote:

> Assuming you mean MIDI controller 64,

Yes, excatly this!
> then yes, it's very likely --
> although I have successfully opened other MIDI files that also use
> that controller.

Hmm, this is big problem. At:

  http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html

now is the "tse3_sustain_patch.patch" that sould be applied
to the TSE3(!!!) library (tse3-0.2.7).

The background is: If the MIDI is:

                                            |----|
                                       |----|
                                  |----|
                             |----|
                        |----|
                  |-----|
            |-----|
  Sustain On Sustain Off

The TSE3 library removes the Sustain On/Offs and constructs:

                                            |----|
                                       |---------|
                                  |--------------|
                             |-------------------|
                        |------------------------|

This is certainly good for MIDI players but bad for
sequencers and other related software, because
this can only be solved by creating 7 voices.

I already contacted Pete Goodliffe <pete.goodliffe_AT_pace.co.uk>
and asked him to make this configurable. He promised to change this
in next version. Till then the patch is the only solution :-(

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)