Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Consortium] Re: [a-users] New Linux forum on Sound on Sound site

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Consortium] Re: [a-users] New Linux forum on Sound on Sound site
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 13:08:23 EEST

On 19-Jun-2004 miriam clinton (iriXx) wrote:
} RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
} >On 16-Jun-2004 James Stone wrote:
} >} On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:08:40PM -0500, RTaylor wrote:

} >} > Thunderbird just seems sort of "foreign" to me...
} >
} >} Tried pan as a newsreader? Very nice if you like the GUI approach. Just
} >} found out you can get LAU as newsgroup feed from gmane too!
} >
} > Pan's pretty nice for a GUI thingy... gnus is my favorite newsreader bar
} >none...

} sorry... maybe its the older versions that i used, but it sucks ass...
} crashes all the time. sorry to any developers who are involved - if you
} like i can test it and help you with bug reports.

 It's never crashed on me. I don't really bother with usenet anymore. I did
download all of the bodies from the smalltalk groups on speakeasy a while
back. If that didn't kill it... I don't think anything will.

} also i prefer a client where i can do email plus news.

 Like gnus. Supposedly xfmail does it as well... I don't know how well... what
sort of mime types, etc it will deal with. Apparently there are a lot of options
you can build into this thing. I just did a straight build. I guess I missed
some stuff. Gnus does everything though... I imagine it could probably answer
your mail for you given the appropriate programming.

} >} If you prefer terminal stuff, I think slrn is pretty nice (or maybe tin:
} >} I swing between the two).
} >
} > I've not used slrn since about '96-97 or so... tin since around '94. As far
} >really old school stuff goes I probably prefer trn {and some of the variants
} >thereof} to anything. Slrn is pretty good though. gnus beats everything else
} >hands down in my opinion.

} i'm dyslexic. can't do stuff that aint visual at least in one way.
}
} i learnt linux once i got the visual side of the filesystem tree. i
} picture it. but thats why i cant program.

 I'm not quite sure I understand that. I do have an easier time with guis... My
mind works {pretty much} visually. Text usually works better as text as far as
I'm concerned.

} i use things in a bizarre way though so i'm an ideal bug tester.
}
} btw. whats XFMail?

 XForms mail. It's pretty old... the developer's porting it to gtk now. For
quite some time it was one of the better mailers on X. It's still pretty
comprehensive. It's still pretty nice. I like the way X looks {tho' this is a
bit closer to Next... a sort of hybrid.}

E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 19-Jun-2004
Time: 04:49:58

This message was sent by XFMail