Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 15:48:30 EEST

--- Claudio Mettler
<linux-audio-user_AT_goblin-embassy.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:39:34AM -0400, Alastair
> Couper wrote:
> > There is an excellent drum set freely downloadable
> at
> > http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_kit.htm
> >
> > He has some useful notes on how he made it as
> well. I use some of the
> > earlier versions and they are quite good. But as
> ever, it is the
> > cymbals that are hard to make convincing.
>
> http://www.natural-studio.co.uk/copyright.htm
>
> --
> It should be noted that these samples are NOT
> royalty free. If you
> wish to use them in such a way as you'll be making
> money from it (be
> that in any form) you must ask permission.
> --

I've sent a letter to Douglas Whates, the copyright
holder, explaining that my motivation to create an
alternative to the NS kit library is based on the
restrictions to freely distibute derivitive for profit
products. I asked Douglas if he'd consider changing
the license and made it clear I'd rather use his
library than invest the time into building a new one.

I'm hoping he's open to the idea of a less restrictive
license. If not, then it's "moving right along."

ron