Re: [linux-audio-user] Good mixer for Delta 1010LT...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Good mixer for Delta 1010LT...
From: lee (lee_AT_fallingforward.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 08:15:36 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:13:08PM -0500, Jan Depner wrote:

>>>The one thing that threw me off (and I believe this qualifies as a bug
>>>or perhaps confusing feature) is the digital mixer for all the channels
>>>gives two faders per channel. So if you raise both faders on channel
>>>one, it will send the same signal to both speakers. If you raise both
>>>faders on channel two, it will do the same, effectively adding the two
>>>signals together giving an output level twice as loud as what's actually
>>>getting sent to the mixer.
>>>

>>That's a feature. It just takes some getting used to. Normally I raise
>>left on one channel and right on another. This allows you to mix some
>>left into right and right into left or swap left and right.
>

> I agree that it's a feature, but IMHO the UI is less than ideal.
> I think I'd prefer a single slider and some kind of pan widget.

This feature makes the "l+r gang" button on each channel useless, since
the way I have always used analog mixers for stereo tracks is to gang
channel one and channel two, each paned hard left and right so I can
control stereo volume with one slider. As it is now I have to raise two
sliders for stereo tracks, which would work alright with a physical
mixing desk but I only have one mouse pointer.

-lee