Re: [linux-audio-user] Problem: Audigy Platinum Pro and MIDI (some better details)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Problem: Audigy Platinum Pro and MIDI (some better details)
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 23:47:25 EEST

http://www.hammersound.net/hs_soundfonts.html

On 20-Jun-2004 Erik Steffl wrote:
} Drew Mills wrote:
} > Sorry, I left out a few details. I'm running SUSE 9.1 with ALSA
} > (alsactl says v1.0.3) and the 2.6 kernel. For this test I do not have
} > JACK running. I'm just trying to get the Audigy card to play a MIDI file.
} > If anyone can provide some insight, I'd appreciate it. Also, I imagine
} > this is the best forum for discussing problem with Linux Audio. Does
} > anyone have suggestions for other places where Linux audiophiles hang out?
}
} alsa has mailing lists (for users and IIRC for developers too), see
} alsa homepage
}
} did you load the soundfonts? You should have some on the CD that
} comes with the card (I guess there are some soundfonts available
} somewhere on the net as well), I guess audigy needs the soundfonts
} loaded to produce any sound (other creative cards with wavetable synth do).
}
} erik
}
} >
} > Drew Mills wrote:
} >
} >> I have my new Audigy Platinum Pro working for wave audio (ogg, mp3,
} >> etc). But MIDI just won't play. Here's what I tried and I thought it
} >> should work.
} >>
} >> drew_AT_linux:~> pmidi -list
} >> Port Client name Port name
} >> 64:0 Audigy MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmid Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
} >> 64:32 Audigy MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmid Audigy MPU-401 #2
} >> 65:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
} >> 65:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
} >> 65:2 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 2
} >> 65:3 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 3
} >> drew_AT_linux:~> pmidi -p 65:0 LetItBe.mid
} >>
} >> But it hangs right here. It looks like it might even be trying to
} >> play something. But nothing comes out. No matter which port I try,
} >> nothing comes out. And, yes the volume is up. On everything! But I
} >> get absolutely no midi sound.
} >>
} >> It seems to me that this is the simplest MIDI test I can do. Nothing
} >> else is running. Shouldn't this be making some sound?
} >>
} >> Thanks,
} >> Drew
} >>