Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates/Sample Sizes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates/Sample Sizes
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 17:24:41 EEST

Last Monday 21 June 2004 14:24, Anahata was like:
> > But what about effects such as stochastic resonance?
> > Add  a (miniscule) amount of distortion and we hear
> > more of the music.
>
> This seems to suggest the possibility of the recording of an acoustic
> performance of music sounding "better" than being present at the
> performance itself.

There are circumstances where I have experienced recordings of performances to
be much better that what I heard on stage at the time ;-]
I also find recording old cassette tapes on to MiniDisc to be an excellent
first stage in the rescue process. I don't fully understand why, or indeed
whether that really relates to the OP. I think that the presence of some kind
of 'background' in the recording causes the mind to disregard RL background
noise. Note how vinyl junkies claim the hiss, crackle and pop to be an
essential part of their listening experience.

my 2p

tim hall

" ... but the ear can't hear as high as that,
well we're bound to please any passing bat
with our high fidelity!"
 -- 'High Fidelity' -- Flanders & Swann --