Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 21:34:13 EEST

Jan Depner wrote:
> Hi Mark. There's another good question. I've read a bunch of stuff on
> dithering but I haven't noticed the difference. Which do you use,
> shaped or triangular?
>
> Jan

I use whatever Waves provides as a default. Not sure, but I think it's
POWER dither. The best way (I think) to study dither is listening to
(generally) the very end of recordings, whene the signal to noise is
getting low since the signal is generally decreasing.

You could also take a mix of yours, something that you know the sound
of, and do a mix with the levels set very, very low, and try different
dithers. Dither is intended to help increase the 'apparent' SNR. It
doesn't really increase the real SNR, but your ear can generally pick
out audio that's a bit below the SNR level (I still find that
interesting!) and the choice of dither will improve how far down you can
hear. Investigate how it effects panning too.

I have never heard the choice of dither make any 'noticible' difference
in my recordings at normal high volume levels, but I suspect that good
dither doesn't hurt normal volumes as much as bad dither might. That's
just a guess though.

cheers,
Mark