Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 17:51:04 EEST

RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
> On 23-Jun-2004 Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> } I think another area where this sort of 'logic', if you will, shows
> } up is when comparing dithering techniques. Sometimes I just can't tell
> } that a certain dither is better, but often I get an impression that
> } another is worse. It's all pretty subtle, and when you get old like me
> } you aren't sure you can trust your ears enough to make a decision.
>
> That one's got to be dependent on the "type" of sound... I get drastically
> different results with stuff...

I'm sure you're right Rick. I was looking at some technical dither stuff
yesterday. The noise floor different dithering plugins insert is not
flat, or the same, over frequency, so that could certainly effect
different types of music differently. I don't have a clue what the
LADSPA dithering solutions are doing in this respect.

It's all quite interesting.

- Mark