Re: [linux-audio-user] Rosegarden not accepting any more input-- bug?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Rosegarden not accepting any more input-- bug?
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 16:06:59 EEST

Last Thursday 24 June 2004 18:28, Mark Wilson was like:
> I'm
> thinking maybe I can create the rest of the track as a
> different file, and splice it in at a certain point.
> Will RG let me do this?

Good prompt.

File > Merge
or something like that.
I tried it yesterday.

After a couple of hours fiddling I ditched the attempt.
If I selected Merge at end of file, the entire new part got merged way past
the end of the file, with only its head in the editable region. If I select
merge at beginning, it appends it to the end of the file. huh?
Not only that, but it appears that the default behaviour for the move tool is
(or at least, became) to copy parts. aaargh! So I ended up with a file maybe
500% bloated with extraneous information very quickly. Needless to say, that
session ended with a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

I'm rearranging parts of a larger piece, which started life on 'Evolution
Lite', most have had a scene with MusE at some point and been spat back out
as MIDI files so I've done a lot of editing, including changing of the
composition length, where does that information go? I have a suspicion that
it's still in the file, just not accessible by any editing method. Am I
right? This might explain some of the weirdness of the Merge function.
Is there any way of 'cleaning up' the files (I don't mind using a text editor
if I know what I'm looking at).

Actually there's more, but I'm going to check the bug tracker before I start
waffling about known issues. (I assume there is one, haven't really looked
yet). However I'm also getting some useable results. Most things seem
workaroundable (Just don't push the big flashing button, OK?).

That said, it's a great bit of kit and has propelled me into Actually Making
Music using Linux Audio. I had it hooked up with qsynth and ecasound (as
LADSPA host) last night and it was definitely listenable, I still have
reservations about soundfonts, but they're cheap (memory-wise) and not too
nasty and the only way I'm going to be able to do pseudo orchestral
arrangements on my current system, which is the major objective achieved.

So, on to pushing the envelope a bit more ;-)

cheers

tim hall