Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of Two Cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of Two Cards
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 02:01:07 EEST

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 15:35, Jos Laake wrote:
> I'm gonna restart this thread, because I'm pretty sure there's a real
> answer lurking out there. :-)
>
> To reiterate:
>
> I realize that the idea of using two soundcards for multitrack
> recording is fraught with sync problems. To be really clear,
> I just don't care. I'm capturing snippets of this and that,
> samples, room moises, etc. If there's a bit of drift, so what?
> What I'm really after is track separation of different audio sources.
> I understand the problems. I don't think they will seriously apply
> to the somewhat non-standard usage I have in mind here.
>
> Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> >
> >>I have asked, just as you too are asking for a "dream come true!" Cheapo
> >>cards for multiple IO's...
> >>
> >>But alas...this is not to be! You can get both cards working in tandem
> >>(of sorts) with the right ".asoundrc" file
>
> Okay, this is what I need! Can somebody (Russell?) please post the
> .asoundrc that makes this actually work? I've tried various bits for
> ".asoundrc" that I've found here and there online and I can't get
> 'qjackctl' to see the device, nor can I get 'jackd' to start manually
> with the composite device.
Hmmm...I have approx. 2.314 brain cells left and they don't communicate
with each other anymore! :) From recollection, I thought I just used
the "multi" option in Qjackctl and set jack for 4 in's and 4 outs.

> >> but they will not stay in
> >>sync. I had 2 identical SBlive 5.1's and prayed constantly and fervently
> >>to the great God of ALSA whom betrothed to us the .asoundrc miracle. For
> >>40 days and 40 nights I fasted...but the "fuzzy wuzzies" in one or the
> >>other card were NOT to be cast out. I was angry...then repentent.
>
> Again, I'm not concerned with sync. I'm interested in *routing*.

I wasn't all that concerned with sync either...I was using it as a live
RT fx processing system. I did have a problem with the distortion
produced by the sync issue.