Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of Two Cards (not)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK of Two Cards (not)
From: Sampo Savolainen (v2_AT_iki.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 14:10:52 EEST

Hello,

If you really just need snippets I would suggest not using jack for
recording them. You could for example create a script which starts arecords
for both/all cards at (almost) the same time.

This way you wouldn't get the distortion created by jack correcting sync
problems. Syncing these samples in a multitrack would be a breeze if you
create an impulse -type sound which is recorded by all cards (i.e. clap your
hands, turn mixer on...). You can also do an impulse in the end of the
recording to measure the drift between the cards. This data would allow you
to precisely correct the drift by using resampling.

The distortion created by jack could be as bad as one clip per
period*buffersize samples. I don't think that will be acceptable for
anything, but I haven't tried this so it's probably worth trying out if you
really need to do your recordings in a RT environment.

 Sampo