[linux-audio-user] giga files and large soundfonts

Subject: [linux-audio-user] giga files and large soundfonts
From: James Stone (jmstone_AT_dsl.pipex.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 16:59:52 EEST

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about generating giga or akai
compatible files?

With my recent interest in copyright-free samples I have come across a
link that was posted here a few months back to a really nice set of
orchestral instrument recordings by the University of Iowa, which are
free: the info states:

"
Please feel free to use these samples in your research or music projects
without restriction. You may also cite as a reference, link to our page
from another web page, or provide a link in a publication using the
following URL:

http//:theremin.music.uiowa.edu/

Please let us know how these samples are being used in your research,
creative work, or recreation by contacting Lawrence Fritts at the
University of Iowa.
"

the page is at http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html

I was thinking that it would be nice to build these samples into properly
layered instruments like the Garritan set for Akai and Giga. Since I have
not the faintest clue how to build one of these sampler formats, I thought
I would post here for some info. Alternatively, I was thinking that
soundfonts could be another way to do it though there is a size limit on
these AFAIK. I know that there is the freepat project which is trying to
do similar things (but as far as I can see at the moment they are just
building a general midi patchset.. perhaps this sort of thing is planned
by them for the future..?)

Anyway, I think it would be a great thing to be able to have some truly
free giga instruments for use with the linux sampler project.. In the
first instance I think we need to clear the use of these samples in this
way with the University of Iowa, but by the sounds of their webpage I
don't think they would have a problem with this.

James