[linux-audio-user] writing gig files (was: giga files and large soundfonts)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] writing gig files (was: giga files and large soundfonts)
From: Christian Schoenebeck (christian.schoenebeck_AT_epost.de)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 00:03:02 EEST

Es geschah am Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2004 15:59 als James Stone schrieb:
> I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about generating giga or akai
> compatible files?

You know we discussed that several times on the LinuxSampler list. At the
moment libgig is only capable to read, not to write gigs. Extending libgig
with write support would probably take me a week, so it's not that much. But
I would only do so if there are people who are definitely willing to develop
an instrument editor for the Giga format or extend an existing one.

The Giga format is more powerful than the Akai format, so I would definitely
prefer that instead of Akai, but the Giga format has some drawbacks:

        * most important it's based on RIFF, thus it has (officially) a file size
          limit of 4GB

        * it's proprietary

        * it has many relicts in the format which are simply unused nowadays, means
          there are dirty redundancies

        * it's binary only, so you can't easily adjust articulation informations with
          a simple ASCII editor

        * the unknown fields in the format = relicts (which aren't necessary to know
          about when you just read the gig) might cause that the original Gigasampler
          to not accept the patch file anymore after editing / creating it or at
          least could cost us some time til it actually accepts it. So like with any
          proprietary format, at the moment I simply can't guarantee that it will
          also work right away with the original Gigasampler (I'm quite optimistic
          though)

That's why we came to the decision that it might be better to define our own
sampler patch file format (maybe XML based) before we implement write support
e.g. for the Giga format.

What are your opinions?

CU
Christian