Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise
From: Dirk Jagdmann (doj_AT_cubic.org)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 12:26:28 EEST

Hello Malcolm,

> The Intel compiler is alot better in this regard. In fact, I've yet to find
> code where the Intel compiler doesn't humiliate the GCC compiler's generated
> binaries.

Interesting. I have been testing the intel compiler with various
releases from time to time, but hardly find it producing binaries which
show any significant improvement.
For example I have just recently compared icc8 againt gcc3.4.0 with gzip
and bzip2 (as I use those programs fairly heavily). I was not able to
measure any performance increase with icc8, when testing the programs on
pII cpus. For sure I'd like to see the icc compiler really in action but
so far I've yet to discover a program where it actually makes any
improvement over gcc.

About the link you sent in another email: I am sceptical about claims
coming directly from Intel, as I suspect them to be just marketing
blurb. If some independant sysadmin confirms their figures with a mysql
running in a real world production system I would be more satisfied.

--
---> doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj