Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT - Apostrophe]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT - Apostrophe]
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 01:38:36 EEST

On 02-Jul-2004 Jack Bowling wrote:
} On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:17:00AM -0500, RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net wrote:
} > On 01-Jul-2004 Joe Hartley wrote:

} > } I got to the point where I didn't need to buy any more FZ, because I
} > } really didn't need yet another version of The Torture Never Stops, but
} > } this sounds like something amazing.

} > I still think his jazz and guitar stuff is absolutely brilliant. There's a
} > lot of brilliance interspersed throughout the earlier surreal
} > ...Maybe Gershwin would be a better pairing than Parker.

} When Zappa found out he was dying of cancer, he spent most of his time in
} interviews telling everybody what a crappy guitar player he thought he was.

 He was wrong. I suppose that sort of thing depends on the standards one holds
ones self to... In contrast to Frith or Santana maybe... I tend to see him as
their equal technically {:} Maybe not Santana...}

} I think he wanted people to focus more on his composition than his actual

 That I can see... displays of technical prowess can get to be such a drag...
They generally detract rather than enhance. {How many times have you seen U2
go to the bar to wait for Edge to finish a guitar wank?} They're a bit like 3d
transitions in video... {Ie: ...time to go to the bar.}

} musicianship. Having seen him twice in concert myself (the tuba solo was
} amazing), such self-deprecation was unwarranted.

 I saw him once in the early eighties... the show was "perfect" :} There were
no technical inadequacies whatsoever. I imagine that 20 {then} years of
practice might give you that.

E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 02-Jul-2004
Time: 17:22:15