Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity now works with JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity now works with JACK
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 11:28:24 EEST

> Okay, before I go get all excited that Audacity is now JACKable,
> I need to ask a few questions...
>
> If I want to build the new version, do I need to uninstall any
> older version(s) I have installed? If yes, how do I do that?

You can specify an alternative installation directory at configure
time, I think, using the option --prefix=/usr/local/bin/audacitycvs/
or whatever.

> Is there some way to store my old Audacity version in a safe
> place so I can go back to it if things don't work out with the
> new version?

If you have your original Audacity binary in /usr/bin then it
shouldn't be affected by having a binary in another location, as far
as I can tell. I once had one version in /usr/bin and another in
/usr/local/bin and it worked OK.

> Are there are any project data incompatibilities with previous
> versions of Audacity?

There have been some reports on the audacity-devel list of problems
with projects going between 1.2.1 and CVS versions, as I recall. I
wouldn't use the CVS version for serious work - it's just too
untested.

> I'm really looking forward to a JACKable Audacity. I just want
> to make sure I don't mess up my setup which I kinda have working
> now...

I do know that feeling. I tend to be quite conservative with the
software on my studio machine because reliability is all-important.
Last time I did a professional recording job, the mixing desk power
supply failed at the end of the last session, but the Linux box ran
perfectly!

Cheers

Daniel