Re: [linux-audio-user] New Asus Ath. XP 2500 Delta 1010LT performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Asus Ath. XP 2500 Delta 1010LT performance
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 06:31:56 EEST

Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan_AT_starband.net> writes:

> So I bought this new box and have been working on getting it setup and
> stable for a few days now. When I run with Jack {.9.8.1 with Qjackctl
> 2.9} and Ardour {beta 17.1} at 48000khz I get mostly "pop" and crackle
> free operation in software monitoring (Which I have no choice to use as
> I'm using it as a live fx processor) But if I try to run at 96000 it
> pops and stuff even at higher intervals (512, 1024,etc).
>
> I guess I expected it should be able to do this no problem and I would
> get better fidelity as a result. What would the possible verdict be
> here?

When you double the sample rate it halves the latency for a given size
buffer. So, you would generally expect to use larger buffers when
running at 96Khz. With your hardware, I'd expect -p512 to work, if
the system hardware and software are properly tuned.

That is a non-trivial task, however. Here is a good place to start...

  http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3

There are also JACK-specific issues to be aware of. Here is an update
for the JACK FAQ I'm currently working on. Comments and suggestions
are welcome...

  http://www.joq.us/jack/www/docs/faq.php#a5

The original (official) copy is here...

  http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a5