Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 22:22:34 EEST

On 08-Jul-2004 Them wrote:
} RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
}
} > } I think Rosegarden or NoteEdit are good contenders, and don't cost you
} > } $500.00. And Rosegarden works with JACK and LADSPA plugins, whereas
} > } Finale does not. And Finale can't do LilyPond. Finale's PostScript
} > } output option is a piece of junk, IMHO.
} >
} > It is sort of universally recognized as the best. IEEHO
}
} It is pretty nice software, don't get me wrong, but it's not perfect,
} and it's very expensive. It's MIDI import screws stuff up a lot, and
} I've had problems writing drum tracks. There was this one MIDI version
} of a Dream Theater song I was using so I could learn the tune for a band
} I was in, and Finale didn't play it back correctly (there were some
} wierd triplets). The exact same MIDI file imported into Rosegarden 4
} played back with the correct rhythm.

 It is a bitch trying to convince dedicated users of the product {that make
a living with it, have deadlines, etc} that a linux alternative is even viable
much less "better". I think the best way might be to offer them the same
alternative and give them a reason to look around at all the other stuff. Once
they figure out that linux isn't a "toy" maybe they'll take a hard look at some
of the other alternatives it offers.

 In other words... If Finale ports..,. Finale users have a reason to use linux.

E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 08-Jul-2004
Time: 14:17:45

This message was sent by XFMail