Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 00:14:56 EEST

RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:

> Animation {2d} flash, svg} is lacking ...Tho' it's getting attended to and
> getting better.} I don't think there's a usable professional solution yet.
> There is java but that's not going to appeal to many folk. There's Moho but no
> one's ever heard of it.

Actually, I use Moho... it's pretty cool, and even supports IK. Amazing
that it isn't marketed more aggressively. It's only $99.00 and is
pretty advanced.

> Video... needs much work. It would be nice if Avid would port. Main Actor is
> pretty good... though convincing folk of that is something similar to the
> photoshop thing. Kdenlive looks like it will be a good solution very soon.
> Cinelerra seems to me to be a solution for folk building systems.

If you can get it to run. Jahshaka and Kino are moving along as free
alternative, but of course they can't compare to Adobe or Avid software.

> 3d... There's a lot of solutions.
>
> The reason that Linux is taken seriously as a multimedia platform is because
> you can run Softimage and Maya on it. {I can't afford Softimage. I'm not
> interested in Maya}
>
> I'm surprised that the SGI ports of Inventor, etc don't get more press {or
> use}. openh323, openexr, theora or dirac don't get more press or attention.

Open EXR is probably the most famous... many Linux graphics apps support
it directly (CinePaint, K-3D, for instance).

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly