Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 12:49:48 EEST

> This is probably off topic, but Linux does seem to have a
> deficiency in 2d graphics (color processing stuff for pre-press).

I'd say it is off topic, unless you are creating CD artwork for litho
printing. You should check out the latest version of Scribus, which
has colour management support. Also I believe Gimp 2.0 has a CMYK
mode, although I haven't had a chance to explore that yet.

Ghostscript has pre-press features now, and there are a number of
software RIPs based on Linux. Caldera Graphics used to produce one.

I've been using Quark Xpress/Photoshop for about 9 years, but now that
PDF is an acceptable pre-press format I'd like to think that
Scribus/Gimp is a viable alternative.

Cheers

Daniel