Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux
From: Chris Pickett (chris.pickett_AT_mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 17:46:45 EEST

RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net wrote:
> On 08-Jul-2004 Chris Pickett wrote:

> } I've encountered / heard of very few shareware developers who actually
> } make a decent programmer's wages from their software.
>
> Do you always want to work for someone else? I think there needs to be room
> for both... just like in other businesses.

Well, I guess there's the whole consulting option for free software
developers, i.e. develop features for a fee. There's nothing that stops
the developer from keeping the changes private between him and the
client either, if the client is worried about competition. Personally,
I want to work for somebody else, but in an environment where I feel
like it's working for myself, but serving the rest of society (e.g.
university, research institute, whatever). Working for customers and
clients just isn't what I want.

> } > {:} Might be nice if some of the winstuff I've already paid for would port
> } > though. {The vst server does take care of some of that}}
> }
> } Personally, the proliferation of shareware (a.k.a. crippleware), demo
> } versions, watermarked pages, expiry dates, registration keys, etc. etc.
> } etc. was one of the biggest reasons I stopped using Windows in the first
> } place. It drove me nuts! Of course I wasn't prepared to pay for
> } something if I wasn't even sure to use it regularly (and boy am I glad
> } as a consumer that I didn't). But I have donated to projects that do
> } fill a real need in my life, whether with development time, bug reports,
> } or money, and will continue to do so. Everyone can do that, and more
> } often than not it seems like there is a greater benefit.
>
> Much of that is fixed... It's simple matter to buy stuff now. I don't have a
> problem with donating to projects when I have the cash. {At the moment I don't}
> I would rather just pay for something.
>
> You are probably right about the greater good... I'm a strong believer in
> choice though.

I guess ultimately I have the opinion that since we have this amazing
free operating system, that's literally been the product of a
generation's work, it doesn't make sense to turn it into a wasteland.
We've already got Windows for that ...

> } I don't mean to flame, rehash a tired ages-old conflict, or come across
> } as a raving Linux Fanatic (believe me, I do recognize that there are
>
> Don't worry about it... Say what you think. I {we} will live through it. It's
> much more frustrating when someone doesn't.

Depends on who they are ;)

> } several places where Linux cannot hold a candle to Windows), but please:
> } let's make investments that ultimately benefit everybody, not just the
> } developer (assuming the average small-time shareware / moneyware
> } developer even really "benefits") and the immediate end user.
> }
> } Cheers, and let's not have a totally silly fight,
>
> I don't think we're having a fight at all.

Well, I wanted to make a pre-emptive comment. I wasn't meaning to
presume ... it's just that I seem to have this knack for inciting people
to say really hostile things (although, I like to think it's not ALWAYS
me that has issues ...) :-P

Cheers,
Chris