Re: [linux-audio-user] A little scared of Debian, was Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A little scared of Debian, was Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 11:08:36 EEST

On 09-Jul-2004 Frank Barknecht wrote:
} Hallo,
} RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net hat gesagt: // RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
}
} > dselect
}
} Oh, the horrors that were dselect. RIP. ;)

  http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/dpkg

 ...Still one of the most lovely programs on the face of the planet. I've still
not figured out why so many folk used to complain about it. It's easy, efficient
and 10 times as stable as anything else. The only real argument I've heard
against it is that it's a terminal program. Personally, I like terminal stuff.

} > kpackage
}
} I think, this is newer than apt, but I never used it.

 Many years old. It used to be a horror {like Gnomepackage and the Stormthing.
{They'd both improved last time I used them... tho' I'm not real sure the gnome
thing still exists.} It's always had the most capabilities. Now it seems like
they work. Aptitude used to be pretty good. It's not as stable as dselect.
{Nothing is as stable as dselect} I don't think kpackage will work to download
rpms... {not tried it} it still makes for an *excellent* package/file manager.

 http://www.conectiva.com.br Conectiva originally put Synaptic together as a
cross-package thing... Maybe it will still work that way for .deb users?

E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 10-Jul-2004
Time: 02:45:37

This message was sent by XFMail