Re: [linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 17:09:29 EEST

Last Friday 09 July 2004 16:52, Michal Seta was like:
> Any piece of music (as long as it's
> within the traditional 12 tone equal temperament) can be represented
> using any of the above methods.

Ah yes, and there's another thing.
This is enough of a disharmonic straightjacket as it is. ;-]

No, I'm not starting a bun fight, more of a bun dance :-)

We all have different needs and uses for our Linux systems. What interests me
is where the cutting edge of technology meets the avant-garde in art. Yeah, I
know, they've been sleeping together since the 'new wave' of whatever began.
As a composer, Linux offers far more potential for finding effective ways to
score, document and realise new ways of making music. The traditional 12-tone
system died along with many innocent people in the second world war (and it's
out of tune), traditional scoring methods will only represent a limited
amount of note information. To accurately represent some of my musical ideas
I can imagine importing conventional scores into GIMP, dia or even OOdraw for
further processing, possibly including pd patches and the like. I say
imagine, I'd need a printer that could handle that kind of volume of
printing. I'll let you know when I get there.

I guess Linux is capable of accommodating the more traditional approaches
equally well.

cheers

tim hall