Re: [linux-audio-user] A little scared of Debian, was Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A little scared of Debian, was Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 10:19:41 EEST

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 09:14, RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
> On 10-Jul-2004 RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> } http://www.conectiva.com.br Conectiva originally put Synaptic together as a
> } cross-package thing... Maybe it will still work that way for .deb users?
>
> Strangely enough there's like a total of two mentions of this on the entire
> net {just looked}.
>
> I wonder if you could script Synaptic to pipe stuff through alien or maybe
> build the alien code into synaptic.
>
> Then CCRMA and Demudi/Agnula could work joyously together, get twice the amount
> of work done and twice the amount of sleep... all of linux audio could be one
> big happy family living joyously and happily together using debs and rpms with
> equal ease.

Good god! The man has lost his mind!! "joyously AND happily"? ...
"SLEEP"??? HA! 8~)

'course, I'd like to try a different distro with a light front end and
package based...If Thac gets sick up and fed with building all those MDK
rpm's (big repository of all the latest Linux DAW stuff) I'm basically
screwed because I don't have much luck building stuff on MDK.

Just a side note...It's late, just got home from doing 2 gigs
today...Debugged the crap outta my FX box all week and thought it peachy
stable and it locked up on me toady in the middle of a gig! Ugh!! Oh
well...delayed the start of a set a few minutes but it did come back up.

> {Then again... kpackage looks like it could almost do it out of the box...
> reads rpm, deb, whatever kiss is, slackware and bsd packages.

So this has my eyebrow cocked to the north slightly...If I understand
correctly, On a Debian (?) based system, you can run this "kpackage" and
use any of the listed distro packages and not go thru dependency hell??
Or can Kpackage do that on any Linux platform? Like on my Mandrake 10.0
boxes and, I too, may experience "netwide audio joy and happiness"??